The Menominee Nation has offered to help pay for a new Milwaukee Bucks arena if Gov. Scott Walker reverses course and approves the tribe’s plan for a new casino in Kenosha.
Walker refused to give the project the green light last month. The tribe announced Tuesday that it would contribute $220 million to cover the state’s share of a new Bucks arena if Walker lets the casino go forward.
Walker has called for the state to issue $220 million in bonds to help pay for the new arena drawing the ire of his fellow Republicans. The Bucks’ new owners have promised to contribute $150 million. Former owner Herb Kohl has promised $100 million of his own money.
Stay informed on the latest news
Sign up for WPR’s email newsletter.
A Walker spokeswoman reiterated in an email Tuesday that approving the casino would open the state up to significant litigation from the Forest County Potawatomi.
Department of Administration Sec. Mike Huebsch echoed the sentiment to WPR’s Sean Johnson:
DOA Sec. Mike Huebsch says @GovWalker won’t revisit Kenosha casino decision. Says latest Menominee offer not viable.— Shawn Johnson (@SJohnsonWPR) February 10, 2015
Assembly Speaker Robin Vos opposes Walker’s plan. He called the Menominee’s proposal exciting but said everyone must accept Walker may never reverse his decision.
Trustworthy news, world-class music and Wisconsin stories … made possible by people like you.
Wisconsin Public Radio, © Copyright 2024, Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System and Wisconsin Educational Communications Board.