Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home
Humphry Slocombe, a small San Francisco chain, serves scoops of Secret Breakfast—a rich and boozy vanilla-based ice cream. Even (and especially) if the shop isn't in your corner of the country, consider giving the recipe a try! —Andrea Potischman, Menlo Park, California
Time Callout: Prep: 45 min. + chilling
Process: 30 min. + freezing
Yield: 1 quart
Serving Description: 1/2 cup
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Dash salt
- 1-1/2 cups cornflakes, coarsely crushed
- VANILLA BOURBON ICE CREAM:
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
1. Preheat oven 375°. In a small bowl combine cream, butter, sugar and salt. Stir in cornflakes until well coated. Spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes, stirring once.
2. Cool completely.
Sign up for daily news!
Stay informed with WPR's email newsletter.
3. For the ice cream, in a large heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks, sugar and salt until blended; stir in milk.
4. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
5. Quickly transfer to a small bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and vanilla.
6. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
7. Stir bourbon into custard. Fill cylinder of ice cream maker no more than two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions, adding cornflakes during the last 2 minutes of processing. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to freeze.)
8. Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze until firm, 2-4 hours.
1/2 cup: 353 calories, 26g fat (16g saturated fat), 187mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.