3 Wauwatosa police officers shot at Radisson Hotel Saturday

Officers fired upon while responding to prior shooting that investigators believe is unrelated

Police cruiser siren
Matty Ring (CC-BY)

Three officers with the Wauwatosa Police Department were shot at a hotel Saturday while responding to reports of another shooting. A suspect, who was uninjured, has been taken into custody.

During a press conference Monday, Wauwatosa Police Sgt. Shane Wrucke said officers were dispatched to the Radisson Hotel at 2303 North Mayfair Road just after 10:30 p.m. to investigate a complaint of shots fired inside the building. When they arrived, he said, they were able to confirm shots were fired in a hotel hallway.

“They were checking rooms within the immediate vicinity for anyone who would have been injured by that gunfire,” said Wrucke. “While attempting contact at one of the rooms, they were met with gunfire from inside. Officers returned fire; however, the suspect was not struck.”

Stay informed on the latest news

Sign up for WPR’s email newsletter.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Wrucke didn’t say if officers were shot through a closed door or if they had made entry to the room.

Officials have identified the suspect as a 33-year-old man from Milwaukee.

The injured officers were identified as:

  • A 32-year-old sergeant with 11 years of service who received gunshot wounds to the hand and thigh.
  • A 31-year-old sergeant with eight years of service who received a gunshot wound to the foot.
  • A 32-year-old officer with seven years experience who received gunshot wounds to the thigh and knee.

Officers took defensive positions, said Wrucke, and the suspect eventually exited from the room unharmed. The department identified the suspect as a 33-year-old Milwaukee man and said two guns were recovered inside the room.

Wrucke said investigators believe the initial shooting call that brought police to the Radisson in Wauwatosa was unrelated to the shooting that injured the officers.

Wauwatosa Police Chief James MacGillis said the officers who were shot are recovering and in good spirits.

Wauwatosa Mayor Dennis McBride praised the city’s officers.

“This was a difficult situation,” said McBride. “Because of the courage and dedication of our police officers, what could have been a very tragic situation was tamped down and the community was protected.”

Join the challenge. Goal: 500 gifts before June 27. Join the challenge.