Stay informed on the latest news
Sign up for WPR’s email newsletter.
- First prepare the onion and potato: Peel both vegetables, cut in half, and then thinly slice. Pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels.
- Place a 9-inch, nonstick skillet over medium heat and pour in 1 tablespoon of the oil. When the oil is hot, tip in the onion and potato, reduce the heat, and let cook for 10 minutes, making sure you come back to the pan every few minutes to stir.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a large bowl, season with salt and pepper, and beat lightly. When the onion and potato are cooked, tip them into the bowl of beaten eggs, and mix together.
- Place the pan back over low heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Tip in the sausages and smoked bacon lardons and cook for 5 minutes. Then tip into the egg mixture
- Place the pan back over the heat and, if needed, add a splash more of oil. Pour in the tortilla mixture, arrange the halved cherry tomatoes on top, and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the tortilla is set.
- Every now and then, draw the edge in gently with a spatula. After about 10 minutes, you need to turn the tortilla over to cook on the other side. Place a plate over the pan and carefully invert both so that the tortilla is on the plate. Put the pan back on the heat and tip the tortilla back in, this time the other way up.
- Let the tortilla cook for another 2 minutes, then let rest in the pan for about 5 minutes. Slide it onto a board or plate and serve sliced, either warm or at room temperature.
Taken from Clodagh’s Irish Kitchen – a fresh take on traditional flavors by Clodagh McKenna. Published by Kyle Books. Photography by Tara Fisher.
Trustworthy news, world-class music and Wisconsin stories … made possible by people like you.
Wisconsin Public Radio, © Copyright 2024, Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System and Wisconsin Educational Communications Board.