, , , , ,

Authorities: Man Shot, 4 Deputies Hurt During Second Night Of Milwaukee Protests

Second Night Of Protests Quieter Than First


Clashes between law enforcement and protestors continued Sunday night over the fatal shooting of an African-American man Saturday in Milwaukee.

Gunfire was reported Sunday night, leaving at least one person seriously injured. But, overall, the city’s north side Sherman Park neighborhood was quieter Sunday compared to Saturday when four businesses were burned down and hundreds of people protested the shooting of Sylville Smith, 23.

Smith was shot by a black Milwaukee police officer after Smith allegedly turned toward an officer with a gun in his hand, Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn said over the weekend. Police claim Smith had fled a traffic stop.

Stay informed on the latest news

Sign up for WPR’s email newsletter.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Authorities said Monday that an 18-year-old Milwaukee man was seriously injured during a late-night protest Sunday. Officers used an armored vehicle to retrieve the injured man and take him to a hospital.

There has been no update on his condition and police are seeking suspects in the shooting.

About two dozen officers in riot gear confronted protesters who were throwing rocks and other objects at police Sunday near where Smith was killed.

Four Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office deputies were also hurt when demonstrators clashed with law enforcement.

Sheriff’s spokeswoman Fran McLaughlin said the deputies were hit by concrete or rocks and that two of them haven’t returned to duty.

Police said that they made multiple arrests during the protests, but the number of arrests wasn’t immediately known.

State Rep. David Bowen of Milwaukee witnessed one confrontation between civilians and law enforcement around 11 p.m. Sunday.

“It’s still a sad sight to see,” Bowen said. “People still frustrated. Don’t know how to handle that trauma, that emotion and you see people still clashing.”

Protestor Lewis Lee said it’s possible the demonstrators have met one of their goals.

“I think people probably feel like they’re finally being heard,” Lee said. “They finally getting the attention, and I guess, I’m praying they finally came to their senses and understand there’s no need to go further.”

Flynn promised Sunday afternoon that law enforcement would boost the number of officers monitoring the protests.

Stay tuned to Wisconsin Public Radio and WPR.org for continuing coverage.