One of our listeners – John from Stoughton, WI – decided to set up a little challenge for our hosts.
He baked and then hand delivered three different kinds of cookies to the WPR studios! He wanted to see if the guys could distinguish which one of his cookies was heart-healthy.
Much to his pleasure, John’s famous Cinnamon Star cookies went undetected by Tom and Zorba’s tastebuds showing that even healthy cookies don’t always need to sacrifice taste!
Stay informed on the latest news
Sign up for WPR’s email newsletter.
As expected, there was a large demand to get the recipe from John. Well, wait no longer because here it is:
- 1/3 cup egg whites
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups raw blanched almonds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Grind almonds to a fine powder in a blender.
- Beat egg whites till stiff peaks form.
- Add powdered sugar to egg whites a little at a time.
- Remove 1/3+ cup of mixture and keep refrigerated.
- Slowly beat almonds and cinnamon into egg whites.
- Dough will be very sticky.
- Roll out dough to 1/16″ thick.
- Use lots of powdered sugar when rolling out the dough.
- Cut out cookies using a star cookie cutter, and place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Place a dollop of the set aside egg whites in the center of the cookies.
- Bake 10 – 12 minutes at 350F.
Note from John: “Rolling out the dough takes a great deal of practice. You can’t expect success the first time and if you haven’t tried the cookies, you will question if it’s worth the effort.”
Trustworthy news, world-class music and Wisconsin stories … made possible by people like you.
Wisconsin Public Radio, © Copyright 2024, Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System and Wisconsin Educational Communications Board.