Irish Gaelic Language
July 10, 2005 Sunday 3PM CT
The European Union recognized Irish Gaelic as an official language this week. But the ancient language is struggling to survive. This hour on Here on Earth, Jean Feraca and her guests discuss the present and future of Irigh Gaelic language.
- Brian Ó Broin [BREE-un oh BRINN], linguist, medievalist teaching at William Patterson University in New Jersey.
- Mairín Uí Chéide [mah-REEN ee KHAY-juh], singer and teacher, host of an Irish language radio show on WNTN Boston
Soundbites and Music Used in the Program
- Lasairfhiona Ni Chonaola - "Bean Phaidin" - From the album An Raicin Alainn - Cic Records
- The Bothy Band - "Fionnghuala" - From the album Old Hag You Have Killed Me - Green Linnet Records
- Mairin Ui Cheide - "Bridin Bheasach" (In-Studio Performance) - Currently unreleased
- Enya - "Ebudae" - From the album Shepherd Moons - Reprise Records
- Clannad - "Nil Se'n La" - From the album Live In Concert - Koch Records